Who Pays for the Damage in a Multi-Car Accident?

Navigating an Accident Where You Were Not At Fault

multi-car accident
Source

It can happen to anyone. You are sitting in traffic and your car gets hit from behind, sending you flying into the car in front of you, and potentially creating a multi-car pile-up.

This is a scary scenario. You potentially sustain injuries, damage to your vehicle, and be looking at additional expenses related to repairs or alternative transportation options. Without proper assistance, it can be difficult to navigate, especially if you are unsure of who is at fault. Having a qualified car accident attorney can give you the confidence you need to navigate this scenario and potentially receive compensation if you were not at fault.

Florida No-Fault and Multi-Car Accidents

Because Florida is a no-fault state, handling a multi-car accident can be tricky, and you may find yourself paying out of pocket or on the hook for repairs or costs related to the accident. Having the right type of insurance can be especially helpful in these situations, but more than anything, hiring an experienced attorney can give you the best chance to receive your due compensation.

No-fault means that, in the state of Florida, it is a requirement for drivers to carry insurance that covers potential medical bills and car repairs, within a certain financial range. There are pros and cons to this system. On the one hand, drivers typically do not need to wait to prove liability to pay for repairs or medical treatment. This is one of the pros.  However, on the other hand, since Florida only requires PIP insurance up to $10,000, so if any of your expenses come to more than this, you will have to pay out of pocket to cover them. This is a major con. 

Thankfully, hiring a lawyer can help you go after some of those funds if you were not at fault to compensate you for any money you had to spend. This could include your deductible, as well, which is typically an amount between $250 or $2500, depending on your coverage and accident history.

Being a no-fault state can be helpful in some cases, as it often means there is no need to find liability in multi-car accidents since your own insurance will payout automatically. However, if you feel you are entitled to compensation, your insurance company may not go after whoever is liable! Hiring an attorney can help you prove your innocence and help you get rightful compensation.

What is Comparative Negligence

In the event of a collision involving multiple cars, the parties involved may be considered liable based on comparative negligence. Basically, this means that drivers will be considered partially liable depending on how much at fault they are compared to the other vehicles.  For example, if a car accident involving three people occurs because the first car was driving negligently, but the car behind it was too close to safely brake, they may be considered 10% or 20% at fault, while the first car would be liable for the remaining 80% or 90%. 

Proving someone’s negligence, however, can be a difficult task. In order to do so, an attorney or mitigator must prove:

  • Duty, which means that the driver failed to operate their motor vehicle in a manner deemed safe by Florida standards and law.
  • Breach, or proving that the driver failed to appropriately operate the vehicle in a safe, reasonable, or legal manner, as per Florida’s standards.
  • Causation, or what led to the collision.
  • Damages, as a result of the accident.

Cases like this can get tricky, so knowing what to do in a read-end accident can be especially helpful.

Finding a Reliable Attorney With Experience

Multi-car accidents can be especially tricky, as the more people involved, the harder it is to pinpoint exactly who was at fault, who was not, and who may have contributed to further damage. If you are injured or your vehicle sustains damage due to a car accident involving multiple vehicles, you may have to pay out of pocket to resolve the issues.

At DRG Law Firm, we believe patients should receive the compensation they are entitled to after a vehicular accident, especially if it resulted in injury. We will work closely with you and your insurance to understand what happened and collect as much evidence as possible to prove that you were not at fault. Call us today to schedule a FREE consultation.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply